Bangour Village Hospital in Uphall, Scotland in the United Kingdom. (photo by michag)
Bangour is an abandoned hospital which served many purposes, most notably as a mental institution. The hospital officially opened in October 1906, but already received and treated patients in from 1904. Bangour comprised individual villas which would house approximately 30 patients each. The village also incorporated its own railway station, a farm, bakery, workshops, recreation hall, school, shop, library and a multi-denominational church. During both World Wars the hospital was used by the government to treat the soldiers. Bangour had over 3,000 patients at its peak. The hospital closed in 2004 after it winded down with the opening of St. John’s Hospital in Livingston.